I’m well into the first draft of my latest manuscript- I should have it finished by end January/mid February.
My lead character Max is a very different character to Abby from Big Girls. For a start, she comes from a completely functional, close and happy family. Although she has her flaws- don’t we all- she’s not at all damaged as Abby was.
She’s an optimist- one of those people who can push unpleasant thoughts aside to deal with another day. She notices the little things in life that bring joy- even when things seem to be really crap. She’s the type that I could see blowing bubbles, or cycling along a country lane with her feet out to the side.
I mentioned the other day that I like to spend some time in the heads of my characters while I’m writing them (or is that the other way around?). It’s why I’m also thinking of interesting ways to use cauliflower at the moment. As part of this- trying to think like Max thinks- I tried to think about those little things that bring me pleasure- often fleeting moments of pleasure, but pleasure none the less.
Once I started writing, I forced myself to stop at 30…I could have gone on…and on…and on…and that’s a good thing…right?
- Early morning walks
- The welcome from my dog when she hasn’t seen me for a few minutes/ since last night/ since this morning/ since I came back from dropping rubbish in the bin
- Doggy smiles
- The flash of colour from a rainbow lorikeet
- The early morning warble of a magpie
- The smell of jasmine when the sun hits it
- The early evening smell of gardenias in our hedge in summer
- When the (solar) lights come on in my coloured paper lanterns under the pergola
- Taking your bra off at night
- The bubbles in sparking mineral water
- Having a pee when you’ve been holding on for what seems like ever
- That smudge of new green in the Spring
- Jacaranda flowers on the horizon
- Jacaranda flowers when they drop and carpet the lawn
- Autumn leaves
- The crackle of frost on a blue day
- Bees on lavender and rosemary bushes
- Fresh sheets
- Shaved legs and fresh sheets
- Clean hair after being on the beach
- The smell of sparklers
- Writing my name in the air in sparklers
- Writing the name of the one I love in the air in sparklers
- Blowing bubbles
- Popping bubbles
- Popping bubble wrap
- Seeing a dragonfly
- Making a wish on a dandelion
- That first sight of the ocean when you go to the coast
- Floating in the blue
What are the little things that do it for you?