Okay, it’s been a while since I did a monthly round-up, but there you go.
In summary, the month was messy in the day job – and that tended to overflow into my scheduled days off from the day job and (therefore) into my writing days and (in some cases) the weekend. It is, I suppose, what it is, but my writing schedule (and output) has absolutely suffered.
The month began with Sydney in week 6(?) of lockdown, and a snap week-long lockdown for us in Southeast Queensland – a lockdown I accidentally escaped by virtue of being further north in Hervey Bay at the time it was called.
Thankfully the Queensland lockdown was short and sharp, but sadly, the same can’t be said for Victoria and NSW.
Some really bright spots – whale-watching in Hervey Bay, some lovely time spent with my daughter, and a planning session for a new and exciting (secret) writing project with my friend Debbish.
I also re-launched Project Excess Baggage and the new monthly feast of all things bookish with my book club. I’m also now well entrenched in twice-weekly (before work) virtual strength workouts with my simply stunning training buddies and loving it more than I’ve ever enjoyed resistance workouts in the past. Adventure Spaniel snores through it.
On the kitchen front, because I was away from home for a couple of weeks there was very little baking done. I did, however, try a number of new to me recipes over the month. Where possible I’ve popped links in.
It was also a great month for sunrises – the colour has been amazing.
Okay, without further ado, let’s wrap up August – in a sentence (or two) a day.
1. Sunday. Snap lockdown called in SE Queensland yesterday from 4pm. Rather than go home I chose to stay up here with Sarah – knowing I can’t get home until lockdown is done. Feeling guilty because of no masks and no lockdowns here. Whale watching – just awesome.
2. Really warm morning. Lockdown extended to Sunday.
3. Bookclub. Yay!
4. Yummo salad from Hervey Bay General Store for a working lunch. After work sunset cruise with Hervey Bay Eco Marine Tours. Made Diana Henry’s salmon with crushed potatoes and bacon and spring onion dressing.
5. Newcastle and Hunter Valley are in lockdown.
6. Made this mushrooms with vegemite and cream cheese on toast for brekky. Sounds weird, but super yum. Victoria back in lockdown. Planning session with Debbish. Batch cooked butter chicken for Sarah’s freezer. Dinner out at Banksia Seafood.
7. Another awesome whale watching adventure.
8. Cairns in lockdown, Sunday lunch at Enzo’s, lockdown ends in SE Queensland from 4pm. Made James Martin’s gnocchi and meatballs.
9. Sarah got her first vaccination – felt like she’d been hit by a truck. Fitness test. Cold and rainy afternoon.
10. Byron district into lockdown. Made Marion’s Air-Fryer Lemon Chicken.
11. Picked up Sarah’s new car. Lunch at Hervey Bay General Store. Made Adam Liaw’s Pork Belly with Spring Onion.
12. Canberra in lockdown. Finished my virtual walk from Lands End to John O’Groats.
13. Made the decision to cancel the October holiday to Sydney and Queenstown. Thankfully AirNZ put the flights into credit and we got our money back on everything else. Dinner at The Dock.
14. Home from Hervey Bay. Chiro appointment (much needed) and lunch at Little Red Dumpling (also needed). All of NSW in lockdown.
15. Sarah back to Hervey Bay. Sunday walk by the lake.
Virtual drinks with Wellington bestie who was in MIQ in Auckland. Made Bakewell Slice.
16. Absolutely appalling news coming out of Afghanistan. Northern Territory in lockdown.
17. New Zealand into lockdown.
19. Bookclub. Grant got his first vaccination – and thankfully had no reaction. The lamb shank noodle soup was slurpily delicious – even though the photo is crap.
20. Yay to getting some writing done. NSW tightened restrictions.
21. Regional Victoria is back in lockdown. Dinner at T & A’s at Cooroy. Loved the fire.
22. Grant to Hervey Bay – he’s working up there for the week. Made red onion and cheese scones and sweet potato soup.
23. Awake at 3am worrying about work. Made this tomato and red capsicum salad.
24. Dreary morning, busy day job day. Dropped my phone and smashed the screen.
25. Copy edit for The Little Café By The Lake back from my editor.
26. Breathtaking sunrise. Awful awful day in the day job office.
27. Cold morning, hairdressers, book club, made Nigella’s no-knead bread for baking tomorrow morning. Poached chicken salad with a yoghurt and buttermilk dressing – which looked weird but tasted okay.
28. Even though it’s Saturday, due to a problem in Sydney worked most of the day. Grant home from Hervey Bay. The bread was a triumph.
29. More day job calls again today. Sunday lunch at Palmwoods Hotel. Virtual drinks with Sydney friends in lockdown.
30. Busy day in the day job after the weekend’s shenanigans. Sydney cases over 1200 today.
31. Another ridiculously busy day at work and feeling brain drained. Made Adam Liaw’s San Choy Bow.
Okay, that was my month – what were your highlights?