So anyways, one of the hardest parts of the editing process- especially as a self published author- is the decisions that need to be made. While a publisher might “suggest” that you make certain changes to your manuscript, when you’re self publishing, those decisions are yours to make. With that brings incredible freedom…but also makes you responsible for the tough decisions.
The toughest of all, for me, was when my editor suggested I lose the daggy pop songs I’d used as chapter headings. I faffed around with that decision for weeks.
The songs in question had been my playlist through the process- the soundtrack, if you will. Deleting them was the toughest thing I’ve had to do…but I think Nicola was right.
Part of my attachment, I think, was simply because the songs had helped me write- and rewrite- this book. I spent many an hour sitting in traffic during my commute listening to these songs and dealing with plot and character problems as the music blared from the speakers. Through the re-write and edit process, the music helped me get into Emily’s head.
And yes, when I’m stopped in traffic, I have been known to use the steering wheel as an electronic drum kit, do a shoulder shimmy, and even do the Tragedy hands.
So, without further ado, here’s the double album …in loose chapter order:
- Never- Moving Pictures
- Just Haven’t Met You Yet- Michael Buble
- Torn- Natalie Imbruglia
- Strong Enough- Cher
- Can’t Stop Myself From Loving You- William Shakespeare
- All By Myself- Celine Dion
- Goody Two Shoes- Adam and the Ants
- Love at First Sight- Kylie Minogue
- In Your Eyes- Kylie Minogue
- Too Lost in You- Sugababes
- It’s Raining Men- Geri Halliwell
- Let Me Entertain You- Robbie Williams
- What You’ve Done To Me- Samantha Jade
- #1 Crush- Garbage
- Obsession (I Love You)- Amiel
- On A Mission- Gabrielle Cilmi
- Holding Out For A Hero- Bonnie Tyler
- One Crowded Hour- Augie March
- Jealousy- Pet Shop Boys (with Robbie Williams)
- One Way Or Another- One Direction
- Tragedy- Steps
- Last Thing On My Mind- Steps
- Never Ever- All Saints
- Last Night- Good Charlotte
- Baby, It’s You- The Promises
- Unfaithful- Rihanna
- Don’t Call Me Baby- Kreesha Turner
- I Think I Love You- Voice of the Beehive
- Hold me Now- Johnny Logan
- I’ve Been Waiting For You- Abba
- How Am I Supposed To Live Without You- Michael Bolton
- Feeling Good- Michael Buble
- So Happy Together- The Turtles