Tomorrow I’ll be turning (gulp) 48.
I had problems turning 40. In fact, it was at least 3 years before I’d admit to it- let alone say an age out loud beginning with it.
My bucket list- as it stands right here and now- is below. The fine print is that it’s subject to change without notice. The fine fine print is that I intend to make a dent in this before I’m 50. The fine fine fine print is that this doesn’t include places I want to go- just the things I want to do…I have another list of places I want to go to (or go back to)…maybe that’s a post for later…
- Sign a publishing contract…or two… Self publish a book or three
- Make a proper living from writing
- Resign a job
- Walk the Routeburn Track or Milford Track. I’ve ticked off Routeburn in Feb 14
- Walk the Milford Track
- Hike to Mt Kosciusko
- Walk the Overland Track or Bay of Fires in Tasmania. I haven’t decided which…yet.
- Walk some of the coastal track in Cornwall
- Spend Christmas in the northern hemisphere
- Parapunt off the Gondola Hill in Queenstown. The idea of bungey does nothing for me, and I can’t even consider jumping out of a perfectly functioning plane. I’ve done paragliding off the beach in Penang, but if I’m going to jump off anything, Queenstown is where I would do it. This one has been crossed off because I decided not to do it.
- While in Queenstown, I’ll add zip lining to the list. That’s where you zip down the hill through a series of flying fox type lines. Feb 14
- Climb a volcano- I’m thinking Tongariro in NZ.
- Climb a mountain- I’m thinking Mt Kinabalu in Borneo or Mt Fuji in Japan. Given that the hiking season is a different season to cherry blossoms, a choice might need to be made here…
- I’ve done the jet boat thing at Huka Falls, and on Lake Wakatipu, but really want to do it at Shotover Canyon too. Yep, Queenstown again. Feb 14
- Ride a camel on the beach at Broome at sunset
- Ride an elephant in Thailand April 13
- Check out the Victorian high country
- Ride a horse in the Victorian high country or Snowy Mountains
- swim with whale sharks
- Swim with sea turtles in Hawaii or Mexico
- Go snorkelling in the Barrier Reef
- Spend a week at a posh health retreat- something like Gaia or Gwinganna where you do yoga at the crack of dawn, complain about there being no alcohol, and eat gourmet health food.
- Lose 20kgs, wear an age inappropriate bikini- or a tankini- without too many bits hanging over the top.
- Learn to run. Run 10kms. I gave this one up as a bad joke.
- See a whale breach- you’d think this one would be easy, but sadly, despite a few efforts at whale watching I’ve yet to see one.
- Attend an AFL Grand Final at the MCG. It would be an added bonus if St Kilda or Richmond were playing. I’d consider the Anzac Day match a tick.
- Live in another country for at least a month.
- Learn to cook a steak…to order…
- See the northern (or southern) aurora…lights, that is…and photograph them.
- Swim in warm, turquoise water in Koh Samui, or one of the other Kohs. ***This is a partial tick as the waters at Koh Khai off Phuket were glorious*** (see pic below…)
Hubby has just told me that I can’t have more than one of the same type of activity on here. I’ve done Routeburn, so I can’t include any other walk on my list. He also reckons that I can’t keep adding items as I choose to. I told him that he’s missing the point.
It’s possibly lucky that he hasn’t yet seem my places to go list!